Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oh no!! We have the same dress on!!

I went to an event last Saturday, and the attire requirements were sneakers, and anything that looks good with them.  Because I consider myself a pretty stylish person, I decided to wear an HnM dress with my sneakers for the occasion.  I knew that because I bought the dress from HnM, the likelyhood of me running into someone with the same dress was high, I added a tank top underneath my dress, and wore a belt around the waist.  Not to my surprise, about halfway through attending the event, I saw another girl with the same dress! 

 I quickly took my tank top that I was wearing under my dress, and put it over my dress, and then I put my belt back on around my waist.  The main reason for me doing this "costume change" right on the spot, was the girl who had on the same dress, and her friends were starting to make an issue of the mishap.  Instead of feeding them with a visual, I decided to switch it up, forcing them to make something else the focus of their attention.  The thing that saddens me about the whole ordeal is that it is something so trivial.  

As black women we allow our insecurities to get the best of us all the time, and especially when we are in a group out in public.  Our first inclination is to always "talk about" the other women that are around us.  Often it is always in a negative manner.  With the dress incident, I think that the other girl, "my twin", should have considered the fact that she purchased her dress from a mass retailer, which means that "her" dress was mass produced, which means that the likelyhood of her seeing someone else with the dress on is always going to be high. 

 Further more, instead of us doing what we always do, which is to be catty and negative, we should just let things that are not important go.  Besides checking myself, and making sure that I don't do the catty negative thing when I am out in public, I am also going to learn how to sew this summer! One of a kind dresses=no drama!lol

No comments:

Post a Comment